Norfolk, VA asked in Family Law for Virginia

Q: I have 3 children give and under the age of 5, the father live over 1,000 miles away. Am I responsible for communication

Do I have to call him or does he need to call the kids since he left?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James H. Wilson Jr.
James H. Wilson Jr.
  • Glen Allen, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: An important factor in custody and visitation disputes between fit parents is the propensity of each parent to allow the children to have a relationship with the other parent, in fact, ideally, to promote that relationship. Visitation is a privilege, not a responsibility. No one can make a parent want to have contact or communication with his or her child. The parent who wishes to exercise that privilege should take all steps necessary to initiate that procedure; the other parent should allow it or promote it. Both parents should strictly abide by the terms of all existing court orders unless and until modified.

The ability of separated or divorced parents to co-parent or cooperate in raising the children separately is also important. It generally requires putting the child[ren]'s interest above one's owns, in spite of how difficult the other parent may be.

A parent involved in custody or visitation disputes should consult with an experienced Virginia family law lawyer to discuss his or her options and the best course of action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.