Portland, OR asked in Consumer Law, Banking and Landlord - Tenant for Oregon

Q: I deposited a check into my account that was not honored by my landlord’s bank. That was in May. When do I get my money?

Clackamas Housing Authority is my landlord. Check was for relocation which has already been completed at my expense.

1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Not clear why your landlord was paying you relocation money in May if you are still there, nor the reason the check bounced - one would presume that it was not for insufficient funds if the landlord was the Clackamas Housing Authority. It sounds as if the Housing Authority, for whatever reason, decided you were not entitled to the payment and stopped it, as well as has refused to re-issue the funds. So everything depends upon why - and you haven't said. IF there is no justifiable reason and the funds are truly owed to you, you likely have claims for damages against the Housing Authority. Consider reviewing everything with a local landlord-tenant attorney to determine if you have any claims and if so, exactly what. Good luck.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.