Charlotte, NC asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Alabama

Q: Can an employer fire me because of an injury that happened almost 4 years ago?

I was working for a company as a temp worker and when I went to go do my drug test and physical I let the physician know that I had surgery on my neck, and when i went back to my job HR said that they are going to hold my hire date, I told them that I was fully released from the doctor that had done the surgery on my neck and had full range of motion and after 2 weeks they let me go saying I was a liability to their company eventhough there are people that work there that are in worse shape than I am. So I'm wondering if what they did was right and if I am able to sue them for workplace discrimination.

1 Lawyer Answer
Nelson Craig Johnson
Nelson Craig Johnson
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: You should speak with an attorney experienced in the American's with Disabilities Act. I do not believe the answer to your question is going to be an obvious one, but it may fall within the ADA. Alabama is a right to work State, which means an employer can fire someone for any reason so long as it isn't discriminatory or a violation of the ADA in some way.

More specific facts about the injury, type of work, and what was said after they discovered the injury to make a full and accurate decision on if they violated the Act by terminating you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.