Columbus, OH asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Collections for Ohio

Q: Stop payment on plumbing service

Our basement flooded and we received an estimate for work. We signed the estimate and we’re told it was “no problem” if we changed our mind. We told the company we were getting other estimates and to stop all work. They did an hour of work. We received other estimates that were 75% LESS than the first estimate. We of course went with that and now the original company placed a charge on our card for $2000. No itemized invoice, just an email and they won’t call me back.

Can I stop payment on the credit card until they call me and/or send me an itemized statement?

1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Martin Broyles
Bruce Martin Broyles
  • Lancaster, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Many credit card companies provide you with an option to dispute any charge on your card.

As soon as you dispute the matter, the credit card company with "chargeback" the amount from the Plumbing Company. The credit card company will then attempt to resolve the issue and determine where the funds should go.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.