Nashville, TN asked in Real Estate Law, Tax Law and Arbitration / Mediation Law for Kentucky

Q: Late September earlyOctober 2020 I noticed my neighbor's property up for sale by owner Had a verbal agreement

Purchase a home and offered asking price if the seller agreed to close before the end of the year

Seller agreed no less then 3verbally ie phone 4 in person seller remove the for sale sign from the yard only to change their mind and not sell to me

don't know if there's any recourse or not in the state of Kentucky

2 Lawyer Answers
Jerome P. Prather
Jerome P. Prather pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Lexington, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: Under Kentucky law, contracts for the sale of real estate generally must be in writing before they can be enforced. KRS 371.010. A lawyer may be able to help you with your specific situation.

David H. Relkin
David H. Relkin
  • Arbitration & Mediation Lawyer
  • Manhasset, NY

A: Unfortunately, agreements concerning "real property" must always be in writing. The fact that your neighbor removed the sign from the yard does not seem to be an action that could only mean he agreed. (Sometimes there is a way around the written requirement, but I do not see it here.) Please accept this answer as a general one. I am not admitted in Kentucky.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.