Syracuse, NY asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for New York

Q: I'm renting a house w/ lease stating "Yearly lease has potential for renewal up to 3 years" Can I stay if owner returns?

I am renting a house with a 3 year possible commitment. The lease states: "Yearly lease has potential for renewal up to 3 years with the rate staying the same and after the first year the ability for tenants to give 30 days notice of vacating without penalty" If the owner decides to rent to someone else or move back into the house, do I have the legal right to continue to rent and pay the rental fee as agreed upon? Thank you.

1 Lawyer Answer
Elaine Shay
Elaine Shay
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Leases, like other contracts, cannot always be accurately reviewed by looking at just one sentence or clause. Therefore, your best course of action to obtain an accurate answer to your question would be to forward the entire lease to an attorney and have it reviewed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.