Bel Air, MD asked in Landlord - Tenant for Maryland

Q: What do you do when a tenant moves and damages cost more than security deposit?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard A Englander
Leonard A Englander
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Annapolis, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: You would need to make sure to send out a security disposition letter within 45 days so that you don't run afoul of MD Real Property Art. 8-203. The letter should be an itemized list of why you are withholding the security deposit and should be sent to the Tenants last known address. Make sure the damages claimed are beyond "ordinary wear and tear".

Then, you should figure out your damages fully (get a professional estimate) and you will likely need to file suit if you want to recover.

Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.