Kansas City, KS asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Virginia

Q: If I had a marital settlement agreement in Florida is it possible to have custody modified in Va

Ex filed registration in VA and immediately turned into modification of custody and JD&R proceeded without proper jurisdiction. Is that possible?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James H. Wilson Jr.
James H. Wilson Jr.
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Glen Allen, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: A party to a court order may domesticate or register that order in Virginia if the Virginia court can exercise jurisdiction under the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Enforcement Act. Notice of the proposed domestication or registration is served on the other party so he or she could contest jurisdiction if he or she wished to do so. If jurisdiction is recognized, then the order registered in Virginia may then be modified if the party satisfies the threshold requirement of showing a material change in circumstances justifying a change in custody or visitation, and that, in light of that change, the best interest of the child[ren] would be served by a change in custody or visitation. The UCCJEA is rather technical in establishing a priority of jurisdictions that can decide interstate custody disputes in accordance with its provisions. Anyone with an interest in an interstate custody dispute should consult with an experienced Virginia family law lawyer to discuss his or her options and the best course of action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.