Forest City, NC asked in Divorce and Child Custody for North Carolina

Q: Me and my husband are separated but we don’t have any legal papers or anything. What do I need to do for a court order?

We have 3 kids together. He wants to get them every other weekend and split holidays but he doesn’t have a license so I’m not sure what to do about him getting the kids.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David Allan King
David Allan King
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You have two options to formalize your custody agreement. One is a custody agreement contract. The other is a consent order from the court. Every divorce, even if no disputes are litigated, is technically a lawsuit. You'd have to start the lawsuit first (read lots of formal legal paperwork), then file a consent order you both sign, then the judge signs.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.