North Hills, CA asked in Criminal Law, Immigration Law and Small Claims for California

Q: Lady accusing me of theft and threatening with immigration and police.

I did some work at her house. She didn't want to pay what the price was. Left the work and now she is accusing me of stealing her house deeds.

3 Lawyer Answers
Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL

A: She is trying to scare you away! Don't be scared! She is in more trouble with DHS if she employed you to do the work, somehow knowing you were without status (if you even are) and did not pay you. How does she know? She cannot prove anything unless you said something to her! It is 'not a crime' to look or sound foreign born!

She is unlikely to complain to police. Assuming she does, there is likely no proof of her claim which seems ridiculous without further information!

Say nothing, but RESPOND by seeking counsel to "file and perfect a lien on her home/property" as soon as possible, if the attorney can do so! Some States have terribly short time frames to serve a lien by mail, etc.! Find an attorney in California who handles and represents clients who file property liens and does that sort of real estate law!

You may also want to consider whether you can file a wage and hour complaint with the State, but again, seek assistance from an attorney licensed in California to determine if this is possible! Good luck.

Nadine C. Atkinson-Flowers and John Karas agree with this answer

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: more info is needed.

if you didn't do anything wrong there is probably nothing there.

did she know you were illegal? if she did and still employed you, then she may have more to worry about.

did you have a written contract? a license?

maybe you should get a free consultation with a Labor Lawyer.

you can sue in small claims court for up to $10k and then get a lien on her property...if the amount of money owed is worth it.

Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Wheeling, IL

A: Anyone may make any type of accusations: the facts are these are just allegations.

She may call the police yet, the police will investigate that matter and in order to charge would need to gather enough evidence for the charges to be approved.

Secondly, calling immigration would not be effective either as many states and counties have protections for undocumented aliens.

Finally, you may file a police report against that very lady for theft of services as well.

I suggets discussing every variable with a CA licensed local counsel further.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.