Manteca, CA asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Appeals / Appellate Law and Domestic Violence for California

Q: Convicted of battery against a cohabitant. My attorney didn’t fight my case well with the information she had. Help!!!

My boyfriend, who is still my boyfriend, got drunk one night. We had plans but he blew them off so I locked him out. He was always leaving his key at home. He told the police that I beat him up and even though he was highly intoxicated, he had a buddy of his backing up his story. This particular friend of his is a meth user and not a credible witness. My boyfriend testified that I did not actually hit him but he was tired and angry that I wouldn’t let him in or even help him up off the ground. I was yelling at him to get off of the pavement and hitting the bottom of his shoes with his cane. The meth-head neighbor said he saw me “beating on him with his cane” and because Lucas (my boyfriend) was drunk he went along with it. He had been drinking with Corey (meth-head neighbor) the last few hours. I didn’t even believe my boyfriend on the stand and I KNEW he was telling the truth. He just seemed awkward maybe? I told my attorney that Corey was a meth-user but she did not even ask him…

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Abrams
Joseph Abrams
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Anaheim, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you're unhappy with your attorney's performance and the outcome of the case, you should consult with an experienced criminal appellate attorney to explore whatever appeal issues there might be.

- Law Office of Joseph Abrams, Anaheim, CA

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.