Asked in Civil Rights and Wrongful Death for California

Q: If i want to reopen a case that Was dismissed .

My mom had a case against the sherrifs department for the death of my brother, she was not able to put forth her full attention as she has been devistatef from all of this. The case was dismissed but i feel it should be reopened

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Sorry about the death of your brother. If your mother was represented by an attorney in the prior case, the attorney should have seen to everything about the case. A lot depends on the "dismissal" whether this was ordered by the Court (not much chance to revive) , or voluntarily done by your mother. You may have your own case, so you should consult with a local attorney who deals in Personal Injury or Wrongful Death, and Government claims. Do not delay, there are short statutes of limitation on these cases.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.