Asked in Contracts, Criminal Law, Banking and Business Formation for Ohio

Q: My mom’s boyfriend has 50,000 from selling a house. He owes money and wants me to hold it for him.

He wants to transfer the money straight into my bank account. Is this money then legally mine? Is there any legal action he can take if I don’t give it back? He has no access to my bank other then him having it transferred

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: If it is not a gift to you, then you are holding it in trust for him, and it would not be legally yours. But he would not have access to it, and if you refused to give it back, then he would have to sue you. If there is no signed agreement stating the terms by which you are holding the money for him, it might be difficult for him to prove in court.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.