Boutte, LA asked in Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for Louisiana

Q: If an insurance company totals totals my car because I have paint scratches can I just cancel my claim

I filed a claim for scratches the insurance company wants to total They are not giving me enough money to buy a new car And a salvage on my on my six-year-old car would leave me uninsurable

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Insurance Claims Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Louisiana attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for three weeks. It could depend on their standard policies. The determination to total out is generally based on certain thresholds, where a carrier would not pay for repairs beyond replacement cost based on market value (accounting for salvage value, depending on what is done with the vehicle). But these percentages or figures are generally governed by state insurance guidelines and/or standard operating procedures of the property damage department. You could reach out to Louisiana attorneys who handle PD claims to outline your options under state law. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.