Silver Spring, MD asked in Landlord - Tenant for Maryland

Q: Behind on my rent due to covid. I received $18000 aid to pay my back rent. I have now been issued a notice to quit. he

My office has still not opened so I am not able to work. DHHS paid $18000 in back rent. I have now received a notice to quit. I was not able to renew my lease in August 2020 because of COVID and not working and I am month to month. Is there anyway to stop the notice to quit without paying the full balance of over $5000

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shaneka Johnson
Shaneka Johnson
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Annapolis, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: This all depends on the terms of the agreement your Landlord made with DHHS in exchange for accepting the emergency rental assistance funds. Much of the pandemic rental assistance required landlord to sign an agreement to not move forward with eviction for a certain period of time following their participation. You may want to check with DHHS to learn more about the details of the payment.

This response does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney/client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.