Akron, OH asked in Elder Law, Family Law and Public Benefits for Ohio

Q: Mom Medicaid for nursing home. Spouse living at home. They can’t take his house, right? What happens if he sells?

Elderly mom with Alzheimer’s disease needs 24 hour care. She is living in nursing home & needs Medicaid help to pay. Can her spouse sell their house in Ohio and use money left after mortgage payoff to buy another house or does he have to pay back Medicaid mom’s share of proceeds?

1 Lawyer Answer
Moshe Toron Esq
Moshe Toron Esq
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: He must first put the house into his name only. Then, if he sells his house, he can use the money to buys another house.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.