Falls Church, VA asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Business Law and Civil Litigation for Maryland

Q: What recourse do I have when a business refuses to accept a gift card that is still within 4 years of original purchase?

The gift card has fine print, smaller than 12 pt font, indicating that it expires 1 year from purchase.

1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Read all about your rights at the following link, and scroll to the end of the page on the link for phone numbers to call. You can also search for a consumer protection lawyer who may be able to take on the case under a consumer protection statute that allows them to sue for attorney's fees in adition to any consumer damages you are entitled to receive:


1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.