Minneapolis, MN asked in Child Support and Family Law for Virginia

Q: Can I make my sons father pay 10 years of back child support?

I have a court ordered child support order which has been in effect since my son was 1 years old. His father abandoned him after losing the case and tired to jump back into his life at the age of 11. He claimed he would help out. Last year I put the 10 year old chip support order into action with the DCSE. He has been found again and still disagrees to pay the order which from their stand point is only a little over a year of payments he hasn't made. Can I sue for the amount owed in complete since the child support order was made? A little background he hasn't contacted his son this entire time or made payments to us.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sonja Aoun
Sonja Aoun
  • Tysons Corner, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: It sounds like you should be able to enforce the original order and sue for the full amount of child support owed. If the court has not made any changes to the original order, then he will have to pay.

In order to fully answer your question, an attorney would need the specific details of your case and review all court and DCSE paperwork, which should be discussed in a confidential setting.

It sounds as if you have already asked DCSE for assistance, and they will be able to help you with these questions, but please feel free to contact my office for more information.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.