Detroit, MI asked in Business Law, Contracts and Landlord - Tenant for Michigan

Q: Do I need to hire an attorney? How can I get a copy of my purchase contract?

I purchased my manufactured home on 3/9/2009 and because I purchased it brand new my community had a lifetime promotion they wrote in my purchase contract that I will receive $100 off rent for lifetime. I cannot find my purchase contract paperwork so I went to the office and the manager stated there are 16 other people that has the same issue as my self and she stated because they have changed management so many times they cannot find the contacts. Is there anything I can do or say to make sure I don’t lose that lifetime promotion? She said if I find my contact they will honor it. Is there anywhere I can get a copy of the original contact since they state they also can’t find it? Should I hire an attorney for this because I cannot afford a $100 increase? Thank you!

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: I'm unsure what an attorney can do for you. It would not be filed with any government entity, and so if the management no longer has a copy, and you can't find yours, you may be stuck.

Since others are having the same issue, and management appears willing to acknowledge they did write that in the contracts, perhaps they would be willing to put that in writing?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.