Boerne, TX asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Texas

Q: Forgery of government documents, statute 32.21 e-2. Prison time?

My son’s grandma (not my mom) was recently arrested for “forgery of a financial instrument >2500<30k, ENH IAT.” It was some sort of government document but I can’t see what exactly it was. It’s listed as a third degree felony on her arraignment public record. She has 5 prior misdemeanors and 6 prior felonies, all theft related. She’s done prison time (about 20 years ago) and has also been on probation in the past. She’s had 3 pretty recent theft charges ($50-500) and violated her probation but always seems to get off with a slap on the wrist. I do not communicate with the grandmother so this is all the information I have. Given her history, I’m wondering if she will be sent to prison and if so, for how long? My son is close with her, unfortunately, so I’d like to know if he is going to lose her to prison.

1 Lawyer Answer
Vonnie Clay Dones III
Vonnie Clay Dones III
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Your son's grandma should hire a criminal defense attorney to review her case to determine the best possible outcome as she could be enhanced, meaning given a heavier sentence, if she is a repeat or habitual offender (two prior TDC trips). Under the scenario you provided, it is possible for her to receive prison time, but her criminal defense attorney may be able to obtain a favorable outcome depending on the facts and circumstances of her case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.