Dearborn, MI asked in Civil Rights, Elder Law and Probate for Michigan

Q: What do I need to file in order to be added as an interested person? Person is still living. More details included.

A man who was like a father to me growing up is now under probate court. His cousins have guardianship and conservator. They said now is not a good time. I've gone to his old residence a few times and they're refusing to tell me where he is now living. What I've gathered is an assisted living home. They keep telling me now is not the time. I don't want anything from them or my dad, I just want to see that he is ok. He was a hoarder his entire life and I'm excited to see him living in a real home not cluttered. He would never stay hidden from me, he's now in his 80s and dementia is setting in. I just want to see he is ok. There's no reason for them to hide him from me.

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You're in a tough spot. If his family is unwilling to tell you where he is, you could try going to the probate court to look at the record. But even with that, his family could legally tell the facility not to let you see him. Whether they would do that or not, we can't tell. Unfortunately, "like a father" doesn't get you to the point of being an interested person under the law.

Kenneth V Zichi agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.