Asked in Estate Planning, Family Law and Probate for Maryland

Q: I inherited the house I’ve been living in with my mom in a 50/50 undivided split

Can I rent a room out without my sisters approval who owns the other 50% it hasn’t been transferred into both our names yet as my mom just recently passed away. Can she say no even when I will split the income with her?

1 Lawyer Answer
Shaneka Johnson
Shaneka Johnson
  • Annapolis, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Who is the personal representative of your mother's estate?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.