Yuma, AZ asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Sexual Harassment and Criminal Law for Arizona

Q: I would like to know if which lawyer is recommended in sexual misconduct cases of detention officer abusing his post.

Occured last December at the Yuma county jail. It happened to my boyfriend and several other inmates within the same pod. The detention officer was masturbating and finished at the inmates door while they tried to sleep.

1 Lawyer Answer
Mike Branum
Mike Branum
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: You would need to report this behavior to the Yuma County Sheriff. If you get no response there, you would next turn to the Arizona Office of the Attorney General.

While it is possible the inmates could sue in civil court, without an investigation and findings from a law enforcement agency, the likelihood of recovery is likely low unless you were somehow able to show that this was a known problem which was ignored by supervisors.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.