Tulsa, OK asked in Insurance Bad Faith, Estate Planning, Family Law and Probate for Oklahoma

Q: How can I find out about my life insurance policy through Massachusetts Indemnity and Life Insurance Company?

My father was my beneficiary but passed away in 1988. My mother had told me that she became the beneficiary. My stepfather recently passed away and my mother is in early demensia so we are getting all legal paperwork together. I found a photocopy of her updating the policy, but no original. Neither did I know my stepfather had been listed as a contingent beneficiary. Do I have a policy or not? If so, how can I become the owner and pay the premiums myself. I'm concerned because my mother signed over her power of attorney to my stepfather's family, as did he, and I am afraid they will just take the policy and cash it in or deny my children their portions.

1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: If the life insurance policy truly belongs to you, then all you have to do is call the life insurance company and ask, and you can update the beneficiary anytime you want. If you have been paying the premiums, then the life insurance policy probably belongs to you. If you have not been paying the premiums, then the life insurance policy probably belongs to someone else.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.