Laurel, MD asked in Landlord - Tenant for Maryland

Q: We received a court summons for failure to pay rent. We do not owe money and never missed a payment. What do we do?

The office already acknowledged this and signed off on it. We received another summons and I contacted the office and they again said we do not owe. We are confused.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard A Englander
Leonard A Englander
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Annapolis, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: This happens fairly frequently actually, especially these days. Odds are good that it's from a Failure to Pay Rent that was filed quite a while ago which you have since paid.

I would reach out to the Landlord and get them to give you some written assurance that the case is going to be dismissed. They should be willing to do so. If they will not, show up at the hearing (annoying, but necessary) and make sure it gets dismissed. If you have to do this, make sure to bring proof of all payments.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.