Torrance, CA asked in Divorce for California

Q: Is contesting my divorce out of the question if I don’t have a lawyer?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ms. Renee Marcelle
Ms. Renee Marcelle
  • San Rafael, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: One may contest a divorce with or without a lawyer. In California of course, it is a "no-fault" divorce state. Thus if one party seeks a divorce, the divorce will be inevitable, unless your partner changes their mind.

The disposition of assets and custody arrangements can be negotiated or if unable to agree, you may file a Request for Order for the judge to decide with or without counsel.

Upwards of 80% of divorcing parties do not use the assistance of counsel to solve their differences.

I believe all 88 CA counties have a no-cost self-help center at the courthouse. There one can make an appointment and gain assistance with and access to all of the judicial council forms necessary to go through the process. Some counties even have no cost mediation available. If your case involves contested custody cases, there is a Family Court Services branch of the court's family law department that assists parties in coming to agreements.

Because knowledge is power, I minimally recommend going to an experienced and recommended family law attorney for a consultation concerning the facts of your case. Many people leave money on the table or make choices they later regret. Seeking advice along your path of self-help is highly recommended.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.