Capitol Heights, MD asked in Landlord - Tenant for Maryland

Q: How do you remove a tenant from your home in Oxon Hill Maryland

I have a Durable POA on my brother who recently allowed a woman to rent out his extra bedroom. The woman was to leave in December 2021 and now he cannot get her to vacate his residence.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard A Englander
Leonard A Englander
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Annapolis, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: You and/or your brother will need to give her 60 days notice to vacate (make it effective the first of the month {ie April 1st, 2022}. If she doesn't leave, then you would have to file a tenant holding over action with the Courts.

Alternatively, if she hasn't paid rent and if you have a rental license and/or your city/county doesn't require one, you can give notice of your intention to file a Failure to Pay rent and file one.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.