Daly City, CA asked in Family Law, Immigration Law, Child Support and Juvenile Law for California

Q: im 17 years old and my mom forcing me to go back to my country. When i turn 18 can i come back to US?

1 Lawyer Answer
David Stephen Kestenbaum
David Stephen Kestenbaum
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Van Nuys, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In most countries, when you turn 18 you are considered an adult and can therefore make your own decisions. In the US, 17 year olds are still considered minors and therefore, unless you are able to get "emancipated" then you have to obey your family. Once you turn 18, you can apply for a Passport, Visa or whatever you need to get to imigrate here legally!

Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.