Lowell, MA asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Civil Rights for Massachusetts

Q: My Dcf worker said that in order to close my Dcf case, they have to verify with my Children’s doctors and school.

Every visit he has tried to get me to sign a release of information. Today he asked for verbal consent. Every single time I said no. I want to keep Dcf separate with all entities and don’t want my Children’s doctors or school to know about their Dcf case. Is this true? They have to speak with them in order to close our case even though I refuse to sign a release of information and have informed them to not contact them and that I am willing to provide any school forms or patient summary reports.

The school/doctor were not the mandated reporters. My ex made an allegation of neglect. My case worker said he wants to close the case but in order to do so he has to verify with the school and doctor to make sure my child is still going to each service provider. Is this necessary if I did not sign or agree to release of information. Code of regulations states they can only be contacted if the children are in DCF custody. Correct? So why would they need to be contacted to close the case?

1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: Schools and doctors have mandated reporter requirements if abuse or neglect is suspected. The DCF is the agency to whom they would report concerns . The DCF would investigate whether there is a supported claim and take action accordingly. Lack of cooperation usually does not reflect well.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.