Gaithersburg, MD asked in Landlord - Tenant for Maryland

Q: My lease ended. I wanted to know if they could just come one day randomly and get me out or will I need to get a notice

I’m backed up on rent a bit and needed alittle more time to find a place

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard A Englander
Leonard A Englander
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Annapolis, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: You are on a month-to-month lease as of this time (automatically reverts to month-to-month if not renewed). So, the Landlord (LL) is free to give you notice. However, it's illegal to simply boot your stuff to the curb (not that it doesn't happen, just that it's relatively rare because of the hefty consequences).

So, if the LL wants you out, they are either going to have to give you a 60 day notice or, if you are behind on your rent, they can give notice of their intention to file a Failure to Pay rent (FTPR) action and then file it. If you still haven't paid, they can move to evict you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.