Lindenhurst, NY asked in Landlord - Tenant and Real Estate Law for New York

Q: Rent is being increased from 1950 to 3500 with no written notice. What can I do? Lived in the home for 12yrs on LI.

The current lease that I have signed by the owners of the home is dated 2012. One of the owners has passed away and the second owner is bed-bound and dying. The wife has hired a broker and the broker is making all the decisions on the home. When speaking with the broker she states that all the other properties are rented for 3K but they have more living space than my home. The broker refuses to give us anything in writing. I pay rent plus all utilities. What are my options?

1 Lawyer Answer
Elaine Shay
Elaine Shay
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Unless you have a current lease or live in rent regulated housing, there is no restriction on the amount that a landlord may charge for rent. However, in 2019 HSTPA was enacted state-wide and landlord's are required to give written 30-90 day notice of rent increases of 5% or more.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.