Tampa, FL asked in Criminal Law and Civil Litigation for Florida

Q: How do i obtain a full transcript of a conversation on instagram messages? all the evidence i need is in that chat log.

An individual committed fraud against me and i lost $6000+, instagram does not have an In-App feature to download the entire transcript, how can i obtain it?

2 Lawyer Answers
Jane Kim
Jane Kim
  • Naples, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Subpoena to instagram, and that's only if you already have a pending case in court.

Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: The first question is whether Instagram would possess that chat. See if you can find that out. If they do possess it, or you just cannot find out if they do, have a subpoena served on them. In civil court, you can have a subpoena issued by either the Clerk of Court or an attorney in only one of two circumstances - either (A) file a lawsuit against the party who victimized you, or (B) under a rarely-used rule of procedure, file a court petition to basically allow issuance of subpoenas because you are seeking information to determine if you have a viable claim to make. On the criminal court side, if a law enforcement agency determines that you have likely been the victim of fraud under criminal law, and a prosecutor files a criminal case, the prosecutor could get a subpoena issued (at no cost to you).

Terrence H Thorgaard agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.