Severn, MD asked in Immigration Law for Maryland

Q: Do I have to return home to complete F-1 visa application?

I've been in the US on vacation with aB-1 visa for 2.5 months now and with encouragement of my sis decides to study for my masters degree. Do I have to return to my home country or can I complete the process while remaining in the states?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Yohan Zingile
Yohan Zingile
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Bradenton, FL

A: You can change your status from from B-1 to F-1 status without having to leave the US. You will need to get acceptance into a University or College. If you change status while being in the US and decide to leave the US at some point (for instance visit your family), to come back to the US you will need to apply for a visa at the embassy or consulate based on your student status.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.