Dallas, TX asked in Employment Law, Immigration Law and Adoption for Texas

Q: Temporary Protected Status.

I am from India. Last year I got married to my girlfriend who is a US Citizen and I got adopted by a US Citizen. In 2020, During COVID'19, I could not function my MBA program as my SEVIS got Terminated. Recently I and my wife were planning to buy a home. Since I don't have a work permit to work legally we both are lagging financially to buy a home. Can I apply for Temporary Protect Status later can I file for AOS.

1 Lawyer Answer
Monica E Rottermann
Monica E Rottermann
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Santa Ana, CA

A: There is no TPS for India. If you qualify for adjustment of status, you will be able to apply for a work permit when you submit your application.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.