Q: what to do when police and media publish false statements to community of a person arrested for 1st degree murder

our small town corruption is all over this town the police are bias to me and my family to a point they do not help us and crimes commited against us are either flipped or completely ignored all together like a home invasion was committed at my home i had it on video and the police caught them in the act and let 2 go and charged one w criminal tresspass and alot more.now they have charged my brother w agg battery/mob action he was running away trying to get awayfrom the persons they caught him broke his arm kicked him in face and my brothers son came out side seeing this and hung up on police and took action to help his dad he got the guy that kicked my bro in face off first w one push he fell hit his head and dies days later due to these injuries now my nephew is charged w 1st degree murder

1 Lawyer Answer
Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Wheeling, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Any criminal arrest may be discovered publicly. The charging decision lies with the prosecution after a felony review, based on the police investigation and other existing evidence.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.