Jacksonville, FL asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Domestic Violence, Family Law and Landlord - Tenant for Florida

Q: the father of my child moved me into his home a year ago. Can he kick me out even if i have nowhere to go with my kid?

he gave me 1 month to leave his house because I caught him cheating. It escalated where he put his hands on me in front of my child. I called the police and reported it. I don't have family around so I have nowhere to go right away. I haven't worked in 6 months, he's been paying all the household bills. Will I lose custody of my child because I don't have sufficient funds at the moment? I did find a job though.

1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: No, he cannot just kick you out like a dog. If you have stayed there for longer than 30 days, then he has to take legal steps to evict you. If you are married then different rules apply. But if you are just a houseguest, then he first has to serve you a notice to vacate, and then he has to file an eviction action or an unlawful detainer lawsuit in court, and there would be a hearing subsequent to that. You should retain a family law lawyer or landlord tenant lawyer for advice about your specific situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.