Channelview, TX asked in Criminal Law, Employment Law, Banking and Identity Theft for Texas

Q: My roommate came home yesterday with cashiers check made out to him with his name misspelled the cashiers check was for

$34,000. The next morning he took it to his boss to get advise. His boss told him to just go home and then meet him at his house at 2pm and he (the boss) would take him to cash it. At some point the boss told my roommate that he would give him $1000. So he then comes home and tells me everything that his boss had said. And then he left for a while. About 5 minutes after he leaves his boss leaves a voicemail on my phone saying for me to get in touch with him because the check that he has is bogus and that he better not cash it because he is working with the police to catch a crook about buying boats. And he he tries to cash the cashiers check that he will be going to jail. And 2, in the voicemail he (the boss) says that he already had it worked out with 2 of the security guards at the gate to be sure and give that to him ( the boss and not my roommate). And he said the reason its in my roommates name is because he doesn't have any credit that it would mess up. Cashing checks for $34k

1 Lawyer Answer
Penny Wymyczak-White
Penny Wymyczak-White
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Roommate needs to find a new boss. Don't cash check or he will be in jail

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.