Stockton, CA asked in Libel & Slander for California

Q: Is there anything I can do about the father of my children, n his girlfriend trying to defame me on social media.

Last year I went to jail for child abuse. It was lies! i never even been to jail before. Long story short I was working one day my ex was watching my kids and I came home from work and my youngest son had little bruises all over his legs and arms I was told that my other children which are the same age range as him they're all back to back ages 2,3,4,5. I asked what happened the children and my ex stated that they were wrestling and fighting like they always do and he got bruises all over him like if one of them took it too far. Which I didn't think anyone actually hurt him on purpose cuz they always pick on him because he takes the toys from them and runs and hides and gets them mad. So that was normal to me I never thought in a million years I'll go to jail for child abuse. So long story short I took a deal to get out of jail which ended up screwing me over cuz then I lost custody of my children. Is there anything I could do about making them stop shaming me on social media.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James R. Dickinson
James R. Dickinson
  • San Bernardino, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Claims for defamation can be difficult to get off the ground (due to protections related to free expression, etc.); that said, you may have a case. Additionally, if the behavior is abusive or harassing, you may be able to seek a restraining order. Speak with an attorney near you. [I litigate cases. Anything posted here must not be construed as legal advice, nor as grounds for forming an attorney-client relationship. You should seek an attorney for formal legal advice and representation.]

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.