Ponca City, OK asked in Criminal Law and Native American Law for Oklahoma

Q: In 2016, i was sentenced to a 5 year suspended sentence in oklahoma. The 5 years expired in 2021. What are my options

1 Lawyer Answer
David A. Cincotta
David A. Cincotta pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: If you are posting this question to find out what you can do have the records expunged, you will first need to apply for a pardon or wait. Assuming you conviction was for a non-violent crime, you will likely qualify to have the records expunged five years after your sentence ended (so in 2026). However, if granted a pardon, you can petition to have your records expunged once the pardon is granted. I recommend you speak to an experienced expungement attorney to talk about your options in getting the records expunged.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.