Dorchester, MA asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for Massachusetts

Q: What are my options regarding my fathers behind on many payments and about to die?

My father is 25000 behind on the mortgage and 12000 for utilities. I am due to inherit the house as stated by him and as I’m next of kin also. I don’t know exactly what will happen if he passes with debt since his cancer is bad and due to pass soon. I want to know what my options are that will allow me to keep the house but not destroy me financially.

1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: Will you be the sole heir? Is he a Massachusetts resident? If you are the sole heir, then you may be able to take over the mortgage through what is referred to as a "novation" with the mortgage company if that is something the company offers or you may be able to refinance the indebtedness. The utility bill would be a debt of the estate and handled with the indebtedness priority and there is also a question as to what steps the utility company would take on the claim and whether the law on same will be followed in terms of the statute of limitations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.