Oklahoma City, OK asked in Criminal Law, Domestic Violence and Federal Crimes for Oklahoma

Q: First offender but it's for threaten to perform a act of violence to a police officer. Can they ask to be sent to rehab?

They are a alcoholic with mental health issues. Can they be sent to rehab instead of jail. They have a serious problem and need help. Could the court order it or is it mandatory jail.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tracy Tiernan
Tracy Tiernan
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Sounds like a situation where the offender has no prior convictions or arrests. If you want to or feel as though you need to go to rehab then by all means do it. However, most situations involving this particular crime and with no prior history are going to secure some type of probationary plea negotiation. Not always… but usually. I would simply recommend that you consult a seasoned criminal defense attorney and have him/ her listen to the facts of the case and give you their best opinion as to the likely path you will travel down. Best of luck!

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.