Round Rock, TX asked in Family Law, Personal Injury, Real Estate Law and Energy, Oil and Gas for Texas

Q: Person in possession of heirship affidavit on my ancestor has been impersonating self as my deceased ancestor since 198-

She and her descendants filed false documents to access in a county court to collect royalty payments on the gas and oil leases which she forged. Need to file for the court to review all related documentation and restore my rights. Want to represent self in court as I can tell my story and journey better. Looking for limited representation. Is it possible or allowed?

2 Lawyer Answers
Aimee Hess
Aimee Hess
  • Energy, Oil & Gas Law Lawyer
  • Streetman, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: It's hard to get an attorney to agree to a partial representation. That's like asking a surgeon to help you while you do your own gall bladder surgery. It's not a good idea to represent yourself in something like this. You will be held to the same standard as an attorney as far as knowledge of the rules of procedure and the rules of evidence. A good attorney can present your case more effectively than you can. Even if you have a great case, doing it yourself involves the risks of making errors that will defeat your case in court. AN attorney can also contact the oil company and have them suspend royalties to the imposter.

Richard Winblad

A: This is not a rant against you or against pro se litigants in general.

Your story may be compelling, but the problem is most clients need coaching in order to tell the relevant portions. Most clients want to bring up extraneous matters. You have limited time to explain the salient points. You are also likely to be clobbered with procedure. Allegations of fraud have heightened pleading requirement. How will you handle discovery? Will your story be admissible or will it be excluded as hearsay or for some other reason. If you get a judgment how will you enforce it? Can you recover from the forger.

Aimee is correct, most attorneys will not handle a matter from the sidelines. Often this can actually cost more as the attorney will have to school the client on every twist and turn.

There is the old adage: A Man Who Is His Own Lawyer Has a Fool for a Client

If this is worthwhile hire an attorney.

This post is not legal, tax or investment advice. Reading or responding to this post does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.