The Bronx, NY asked in Animal / Dog Law, Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for New York

Q: im 17 tunring 18 in two months, will i be able to sue my aunt for emotional abuse and spreading rumors when im 18?

She has made me feel like a burden to everyone, she lies and tells me that im over reacting. Recently my dog passed away, her lungs collapsed and she had bruising from something, the first person she said it was , was me. I know i never did anything to my dog but she said she "thinks" it's my fault. She then proceeded to tell everyone that she thinks someone told me to kill the dog. These are serious accusations, and I dont take these accusations lightly at all. three people live at the house, me and my grandmother and my grandpa, my aunt doesnt live with us so why would she make these crazy assumptions? can i sue her for making a serious accusation? when we went to the vet she lied and told them that she ran outside and came back hurt, we both know that didnt happen, we actually have no idea what happened to her. She told me that if i told the cops that she lied about what happened to the dog they can take her to jail, is this true? What can i do when im 18?

1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan R. Ratchik
Jonathan R. Ratchik
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You can certainly sue someone for defamation / slander if they are making false statements about you. In any defamation case, however, you have to prove that the false statements caused you damages. Moreover, unless your aunt has any assets worth pursuing, a successful lawsuit against her might result in nothing more than a paper judgment. Here's an article I found online which you might find helpful,

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.