Reidsville, NC asked in Social Security and Criminal Law for North Carolina

Q: So. I have been getting gifts of money from a person who has disabilities.

I met a guy online and he's been sending me money for years. We met on an app and became close. He told me later on about being autistic. Now apparently his personal case worker is trying to get me to pay the money back in payments or they are taking legal action against me. Do they have a right to?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elizabeth Fowler Lunn
Elizabeth Fowler Lunn
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Unfortunately you haven’t given enough information to know what kind of payments were made or what funds he used to send you the money.

Social Security does not provide case workers to people who receive benefits. Some people who receive benefits have a representative payee that helps manage the money and that is usually a family member or friend.

If you think the case worker is saying that you will be charged in a criminal action then I would suggest you speak with a criminal defense attorney to confirm whether or not you broke any laws in these transactions. You should have a private consultation so that attorney-client privilege will apply and you can get appropriate legal advice.

If they are just asking you to repay the money then you may need to get a better understanding as to why they think you are obligated to repay it. You can also consult with a civil law attorney if you have questions about whether or not you are required to pay it back.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.