Forked River, NJ asked in Divorce, Family Law, Business Law and Civil Litigation for New Jersey

Q: Can I reopen a post judgment divorce and represent myself? I believe that I can but, what if any are the consequence's?

A few weeks ago I posted here regarding reopening my divorce post judgement due to fraud. I indicated that I do not have the funds to hire an attorney and was seeking help pro bono. I realize the cost associated with the complexity of this case, and I am willing to help in any way that I can to lessen the burden and leg work in representing me. I know that what happened in my divorce will be shocking to both experienced and new attorneys alike and will provide valuable knowledge, knowledge that you can not put a price on. I did receive 2 responses and I thank you both for your time in responding. I do realize the cost associated with a complex case such as mine, but I believe that there is no amount of money for the knowledge that can be gained in representing me. And so I am asking again if there is anyone that could please, please help me. And my question is, if I'm not able to obtain help can I represent myself? I am willing to bring this to the highest court to seek justice.

1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Clifton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Trying to represent yourself in a divorce or post-divorce matter is unwise since you are emotionally involved and not a trained attorney. There has to be a valid reason for reopening a divorce. This is going to be an expensive case and a hard burden to meet. People want to litigate very often, until it comes time to pay for it. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.