Las Vegas, NV asked in Family Law, Divorce and Real Estate Law for Nevada

Q: My ex wife purchased a house while we were still married. I was once told that I am entitled to part of the house.

Since NV is a common law state am I entitled to part of the house/equity? Even if a quick claim deed was signed?

If so how do we claim this?

1 Lawyer Answer
Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: Nevada does not recognize common law, but is a community property state. This means that anything that is acquired during the marriage, debts, properties and/or assets are subject to equitable division upon a divorce. Thus the house that was purchased during the marriage would have been subject to the equitable distribution.

Because it appears that you are now divorced from your ex-wife, the division of all your assets and debts should have been divided in the final divorce decree.

Janice Jacovino agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.