Mansfield, OH asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Ohio

Q: My daughters name was found to be on a students hit list.

Her name was on a students hit list. The school has a zero tolerance policy and only suspended the student for 10 days with a potential expulsion based on a closed door expulsion hearing that we are not allowed to go to. What would be our best avenue for how to handle this legally potentially prosecuting the kid and potentially civilly since my daughter no longer feels safe at school and does not want to go? My wife and I are not worried our selves especially if the school does not expel the student that my daughter will be in school with this kid for the next several years.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Talk to your local county prosecutors office, which might want investigate and will decide whether to pursue a criminal action. Then use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local attorney who handles civil litigation cases.

Dimitrios Makridis agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.