Canyon Country, CA asked in Personal Injury, Libel & Slander and Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: We rent in a area that has a hoa. Well it seems they don’t like us

We rent in a area that has a hoa. Well it seems they don’t like renters, the management company that handles our hoa has been sending letters to our landlord accusing us of bringing criminal activity to the neighborhood. My boyfriend got tools taken out of his truck, we have it on video, but the hoa manage wrote a letter to out landlord saying it was my son who took the tools, well the video showed it was not my son. She even said the police have been called on us and that also is not true. She also said my son kicked our door in, not true. My neighbors are all now talking bad about us, she didn’t only send letters to our landlord but to all the hoa members. I am no longer comfortable living here. I have medical issues and this is causing me so much stress, making these worse, I even suffered a small stroke. How do I get them to stop, it is creating unnecessary tension between us and our landlord

1 Lawyer Answer
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: you should make an appt with a local attorney with HOA experience.

s/he can send a letter demanding a retraction and consider a defamation lawsuit.

if the facts are strong enough you might find a lawyer that will take the case on a contingency............can you tied in your med conditions to the facts presented?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.