New York, NY asked in Real Estate Law and Probate for New York

Q: How long does it take a lender to find substitute Administrator ?

The property is in Brooklyn . My father was the only person on the mortgage. When I was added to his deed , I was recorded as the Administrator. I only found out recently that I needed court papers to become an Administrator, which is what I am trying to do now. I don’t know why I was ever recorded as the Admin so I hired a surrogate attorney who filed everything for me. But surrogate court is moving slow. How long in kings county does it take a lender to find a substitute Administrator? Thank you

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: The lender does not find an administrator; rather the lender needs to obtain jurisdiction over whoever is vested with title to the property the lender is seeking to foreclose by substituting and serving them with process.

Bonnie Lawston
Bonnie Lawston
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Huntington, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Only Surrogate Court can appoint an administrator for an estate. The lender or bank will foreclose on the property if the lein is not paid. The creditor can apply to court for an administrator such as PA to be appointed if no one comes forward. It depends on the case and how quickly the petitioner submits all the required documents which will dictate how long it takes. The creditor can proceed to foreclose by following certain procedures. You should seek advice from my Probate Estate attorney as soon as possible

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.