Lanett, AL asked in Consumer Law, Family Law, Civil Rights and Gov & Administrative Law for Alabama

Q: What are my rights with DHR?

In August, I fled an abusive relationship, from NC, with the father of my children. I returned to my hometown. Having no other options at the time, my children and I ended up in a tent for around two weeks. The children slept on mattresses inside the tent, fully clothed, and covered with blankets. We had clean running water, electricity, and plenty of food. DHR showed up with a sheriff somewhere around 9-10 PM, stating that if I didn't get them indoors immediately, that they were going to take my children. I did. I got the children indoors immediately. They have been living/sleeping indoors since that day. Now DHR is demanding drug tests and setting forth other stipulations. The only complaint was that the kids were sleeping outside. I have complied without fail to have the children sleeping indoors every night. I have not received a single piece of paper from DHR. Not a copy of the complaint or anything, How do I get them to drop the case? Or what do I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Hayden Glass Sizemore
Hayden Glass Sizemore
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Montgomery, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: You should hire an attorney. You are not required to submit to DHR requested drug screens. However, if you refuse, DHR will often use that to justify removing the children. If so, you will have a 72-hour hearing and you should request an attorney be appointed to represent you at the 72-hour hearing. If the juvenile court awards DHR custody at that hearing, you only have 14 days to challenge that decision at the Alabama Court of Civil Appeals. It sounds like DHR has not filed a petition for protective supervision or custody at this point; however, it is often inevitable, but there is no way to simply get DHR to close a case unless there is no evidence of abuse/neglect or all of their demands have been complied with.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.